CLIMATE: Mild summer,cold winter
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Summer
Lamerton was a full-fledged community with a hotel, stores, blacksmith
shop, creamery, and all else required by a growing hamlet. First started
in 1892 as a trading post and storehouse for travelers using the Tail
Creek to Edmonton trail, there were only seven settlers in the area at
the time. The settlement did not start to grow until about 1902. Soon
the town had a lumberyard, a creamery, blacksmith shop, a hardware store,
two butcher shops, livery stables, a post office, a general store, a
dance hall, a meeting hall, and a Methodist Church. Total population
at one time reached about 100. Lamerton’s demise was not quite
the story heard over and over again—that the railroad passed it
by. Not this time. Actually, the Grand Trunk Pacific Railroad came right
through the town in 1910-11 heading from Calgary to Edmonton. The railroad
wanted land for its use but the owner held out for too high a price.
The railroad simply decided to build its own town two miles to the south.
And it did. As soon as the site was surveyed, Lamerton business people
began moving their buildings to the new townsite and started over again.
By 1912, Lamerton was all but deserted and the town passed into history.