| NAME: FALKENBURG
CLIMATE: Snow in winter
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Spring summer or fall
REMAINS: The cemetery now stands without its church and the post office stands alone in the woods.
| North of southern Ontario’s mill towns
was a remote wilderness called Muskoka thick with pine trees and unexplored.
Lumber interests were anxious to harvest the timber but there were no permanent
inhabitants to draw upon. Starting in the 1850s the lumber interests and
the provincial government devised a plan to encourage settlement of the
region. For anyone willing to build a cabin and clear a few acres the land
along them would be free. Lured by free land, settlers soon followed. Towns
appeared at waterpower sites, around the stopping places and at convenient
crossroad locations. One was Falkenburg. In 1863 a post office opened. There
were several hotels, a blacksmith shop, an Anglican Church and a school.
When the Northern and Pacific Junction railway came through a few years
later it built its station two miles south, where a new village, Falkenburg
Station, grew up. It became the center of the area and Falkenburg became
a ghost town.