NAME: Vallecito
COUNTY: Calevaras
GRID #(see map): 3
CLIMATE: Cool winter, warm summer
COMMENTS: Just west of Murphys, Semi-ghost.
REMAINS: Many original buildings.
The Murphy brothers, John and Daniel, were the first to pan for gold along Coyote Creek at the site that is now called Vallecito. Originally, the town was named Murphy's Diggings. After a few months, the brothers moved north to establish the larger camp of Murphy, not being satisfied with the yield from the first site, which was renamed "Murphy's Old Diggings." Soon after, Mexicans occupied the site and renamed it Vallecito. There was a brief flurry of excitement in 1852 when a vein was discovered that produced far richer returns as compared to the stream gravel. After things died down and everything and everybody returned to normal, Vallecito led a quiet existence without much further growth. The town is just a few miles south of Murphys, east of highway 49. Submitted by Henry Chenoweth.
Old miner's bell and town monument are in front of the Union Church on the main street -- bell was brought to Vallecito by early day residents and erected in a large oak tree in 1854 -- It was used to call the town people
together -- in 1930, severe wind blew the old oak tree down.
Courtesy Dolores Steele