NAME: Lonerock
COUNTY: Gilliam
CLIMATE: Cool winter, warm summer
COMMENTS: Lonerock is located about 20 miles east of Condon on an unmarked gravel road branching off Highway 206.
REMAINS: The original 1898 Lonerock Church, School House, Cemetery, jail and city hall,and several old homes.

The town is named for a large solitary rock located next to the Methodist church.
The community hall has been renovated in recent years. The town's population of approximately 25 people pay
minimal taxes and are served by a single phone line. Lonerock's cemetery is about 5 miles south, at the top of a hill overlooking the town. A simple wire fence surrounds the cemetery which contains markers dating back to the late 1800's. Submitted by Darren Bernaerdt from
Deserted Lands.

Lonerock is the story of a young Scottish couple, David and Sophia Spalding. David left the fishing village of Banff, Aberdennshire, Scotland in 1898 at the tender age of 17 to establish a ranch home for his intended bride, Sophia Essom. He chose a site near Trailfork in a barren area of sagebrush and juniper trees. The nearest settlement was Lonerock, about five miles distant. After five years of improving the ranch, David returned to Scotland to claim his bride. During this period, Sophia had busied herself with nurses training that was to play a major role in the future of Lonerock. Sophia and David worked their ranch for a number of years and then moved to Lonerock. Both were talented young people, David with the accordion and piano and Sophia with a singing voice. The arrival of the Spaldings was an occasion for rejoicing for the people of Lonerock. Sophia became an unofficial “doctor” for the town, delivering babies and tending the sick when Dr. George Gaunt might be miles out in the country. Even after David died in 1935, she tended the ten-room house as before, keeping it neat and tidy inside and out and still tending to the needs of her dwindling neighbors. In 1956, she fell, fracturing a hip and was taken to Portland for hospitalization. In 1961, she died and was returned to the little Lonerock church for the funeral. By this time, Lonerock was almost completely deserted but on that Sunday, July29, more than 300 people coming from far and wide to say goodbye to the woman who had played such an important part in their lives. Submitted by Henry Chenoweth.

Established in 1875, the name of the town is derived from the prominent rock that is located behind the old Methodist Church.
This crossroads community was platted in 1882 as "Lone Rock" but the postal authorities chnaged that. The 1891 jail was used for the
sheep herders that would come in to town to celebrate. The 1903 two story school house still stands, and has been converted into a hunting lodge. After World War 1, the town began its long demise. The climate can be rigorous with winter lows of 20 below and 100+ degrees in the summer. The local cemetery is two miles south of town and is a well maintained history lesson in and of itself.

Submitted by: Keith F. May

Lonerock Cemetery
Courtesy Darren Bernaerdt

Old Gas Pump
Courtesy Darren Bernaerdt

House at Lonerock
Courtesy Darren Bernaerdt

House at Lonerock
Courtesy Darren Bernaerdt