CLIMATE: Mild winter and summer.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.
On SR 205.
REMAINS: A few buildings.
The town of Narrows was aptly named as
it was located on a site between two lakes, one containing fresh
water and the other undrinkable. The fresh water lake had a French
name Malheur and was fed water from Donner und Blitzen
river so named by a cavalry officer, Col. George B. Curry during
the Snake Indian War in 1864. The other, Harney Lake, is unusable
for any purpose. In 1892, a Charles A. Haines built a house on
the narrow strip of land hoping to develop a cattle ranch. His
house turned out to be the beginning of a fair sized town to
be called the Narrows. Being the only stopping place south of
Burns and north of Frenchglen, a distance of 80 miles, Haines
put up several buildings to serve travelers. The road to Burns
was paved in the 1930s and that started Narrows on the road to
oblivion, the ranchers being more than willing to drive the distance
to the larger town. Its demise was conceded when the hotel burned
SUBMITTED BY: Henry Chenowith