BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime
East side of CR 42 east of Rancho Lane. North of Paisley.
REMAINS: Little to none
|Acron began in the 1860ís on Acron Lake. Also spelled Ackron and Akron, it was home to a sawmill, gristmill, farming families and citrus groves. To get to Acron visitors would pay a fare of $6.00 for a steamer down the St. Johnís River from Jacksonville to Hawkinsville. (another Lake County ghost town) There would then be an overland trip by mule cart. John C. Campbell was the first postmaster when the post office was established in 1877. Acron originally had a population of 30 but grew in time to 300 residents. The Acron School was established in 1875 with Sara Campbell as its first teacher, Flora Call was the second. Flora was the mother of Walt Disney. This two-story log school also served as a church house and local Mason meetings. Campbell housed the post office in his home which for a time was also used as the local hotel. The original Campbell home was demolished in 1910. The community has since disappeared. Pioneer family names consist of Campbell, Lever, Perkins, Blecha, and the Rev. Charles Jarvis Clark. Submitted by: Mike Woodfin