CLIMATE: Warm most of the year, occasionally cold in winter
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime
Located along US 441 approximately halfway between Kenansville and Yeehaw Junction. Area has some scattered farms with local residents. Town name is alternately spelled Apoxee.
REMAINS: Very little found. Supposedly there is a house from 1920 somewhere in the Apoxsee vicinity, however have not been able to locate it.
|Apoxsee was the first train depot and flagstop south of Kenansville along the east branch of the Florida East Coast Railroad Kissimmee Valley Extension. The town was named in 1920 by FEC Vice President JE Ingram for the Seminole-Creek Indian word Apaksi, meaning "tomorrow". It was a small turpentine town with a post office in service from 1928 to 1933. As the trees became depleted the residents moved on, and years before the railroad service was discontinued in 1947 Apoxsee had become a ghost town. Submitted by: Jim Pike